Having a will is arguably one of the most important things your clients can do for themselves and their families.
The top ten reasons for your clients to have a will are:
- Your client decides how their estate will be distributed. It helps give clarity to family members and removes confusion.
- Your client can clearly state who will take care of their children (if minors). With no will then a court may make the decision instead, appointing either family or a state-appointed guardian.
- It will speed up the probate process (which happens for all estates) and clearly informs a court how your client would like their estate to be divided. With no will then the court will decide on their behalf.
- Minimise estate taxes. The value of what is given away could reduce the value of estate taxes that will be due.
- They can appoint an executor who will ensure all affairs are in order – they just need to ensure it’s someone they trust.
- It enables the client to clearly state who will inherit and who will not inherit from their estate. With no will, individuals could make claims to the estate against the clients wishes (such as an ex-spouse).
- A will allows your client to specify gifts or donations to charities or individuals.
- A will gives clarity and will help to avoid legal challenges of entitlement.
- Your client can change a will at any time to suit the circumstances in their life.
- It’s simple and easy to do now to avoid confusion and unhappiness later on.
Providing a will writing and estate planning service to your clients is easy with BTWC. We can work with you in a number of ways to help you meet your client needs and increase your opportunities for income growth. Just call us on 01522 500823 to see how we can help you and your clients.